“We envision communities where all people are engaged in meaningful service that is dedicated to positive social change." – CYS AmeriCorps Program Vision
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2016-2017 SERVICE YEAR!
Click here to apply to Youth in Service!
The Youth in Service AmeriCorps Program at Community Youth Services is dedicated to making a difference through community service and partnership. We are people who are passionate and committed to supporting the positive development of children, youth and the community. If you feel the same way, we hope you join us by becoming an AmeriCorps member or volunteering along side us.
Leave a legacy and grow. We are an experiential service program that provides opportunities for personal development through community service and leadership. We offer training that will enhance your term of service now and for years to come.
Youth In Service Mission Statement
Youth In Service collaborates with motivated 18-25 year olds to develop their community leadership skills and to positively contribute to the lives of local youth and families.
Areas of Service
Mentoring and Support for Youth and Families At-Risk:
- Tutoring and mentoring – during school hours and in after school and community-based programs
- Social skill building activities, including alternative recess and conflict resolution
- Facilitating homework clubs, violence prevention activities, recreational activities, and more
- Finding housing and other basic needs for families who are homeless
- Giving out community referrals
- Hosting family engagement activities
Providing Capacity Building for Non-Profit Youth Serving Organizations
- Recruiting, training and managing community volunteers
- Building partnerships with local businesses and community groups
- Fundraising and donation gathering
Requirements for Joining Youth In Service
- Be 18 to 25 years old
- Have a high school diploma/GED
- Have previous volunteer experience
- Be passionate about helping children, youth and families
Members serve full-time for 10 1/2 months, from August 16, 2016 - June 30, 2017.
- 80% of time is spent serving sponsor sites, including Thurston County schools, community based organizations, and faith based organizations.
- 20% of time is spent in team training and events.
- First 2 weeks of service is spent in team training and service projects.
- Approximately 2 days per month will be spent in team meetings, training, and events.
- Members serve 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, typically during the regular work day. However, a few sites require occasional weekend/evening hours.
- Some positions require a vehicle.
Benefits of Service
- Receive a modest monthly stipend of $1,195 to help cover housing costs and expenses.
- Ongoing professional development through bi-monthly team meetings.
- Qualifying student loans may be put into deferment during the service year.
- Receive a $5,775 education award upon successful completion of the program.
- Members are eligible to receive basic health care benefits. Spouses and children are not eligible for benefits.
Click here for more information about the benefits of AmeriCorps service.
Current Service Positions
Click here for a YouTube tutorial on the My AmeriCorps application process
We are now accepting applications for the 2016-2017 Service Year. Members will start August 16, 2016. These positions are all contingent on funding. Please click on the following links to read the Youth In Service site descriptions for our current partners and download them in printable form:
For more information about AmeriCorps in Washington State, please visit the following website:
To view our program’s FAQ, please click here.
The Youth In Service Program started at Community Youth Services in 1994 and is funded by the Washington Commission for National and Community Service.