“We envision communities where all people are engaged in meaningful service that is dedicated to positive social change." – CYS AmeriCorps Program Vision
Accepting applications NOW! Click here to apply to Youth in Service!
The Youth in Service AmeriCorps Program at Community Youth Services is an experiential service program that provides opportunities for personal development through community service and leadership. We are people who are passionate and committed to supporting the positive development of children, youth and the community. We offer training that will enhance your term of service now and for years to come.
Youth in Service Mission Statement
Youth in Service collaborates with motivated 18-25 year olds to develop their community leadership skills and to positively contribute to the lives of local youth and families.
Areas of Service
Mentoring and Support for Youth and Families At-Risk:
- Tutoring and mentoring – during school hours and in after school and community-based programs
- Social skill building activities, including alternative recess and conflict resolution
- Finding housing and other basic needs for families who are homeless
- Providing community referrals
Providing Capacity Building for Non-Profit Youth Serving Organizations
- Recruiting, training and managing community volunteers
- Building partnerships with local businesses and community groups
- Fundraising and donation gathering
Benefits of Service
- Receive a modest monthly stipend of $1,205 to help cover housing costs and expenses.
- Ongoing professional development through bi-monthly team meetings.
- Qualifying student loans may be put into deferment during the service year.
- Receive a $5,815 education award upon successful completion of the program.
- Members are eligible to receive basic health care benefits.
Requirements for Joining Youth in Service
- Be 18 to 25 years old
- Have a high school diploma/GED
- Have previous volunteer experience
- Be passionate about helping children, youth and families
Members serve full-time for 10 1/2 months,from mid-August 2017 through June 2018.
- 80% of time is spent serving sponsor sites, including Thurston County schools, community based organizations, and faith based organizations.
- 20% of time is spent in team training and events.
- First 2 weeks of service is spent in team training and service projects.
- Approximately 2 days per month will be spent in team meetings, training, and events.
- Some positions require a vehicle.
Click here for more information about the benefits of AmeriCorps service.
Accepting applications starting March 1st for service in 2017-2018
Please click on the following links to read the Youth in Service site descriptions for our current partners and download them in printable form:
For more information about AmeriCorps in Washington State, please visit the following website:
To view our program’s FAQ, please click here.
The Youth in Service Program started at Community Youth Services in 1994 and is funded by the Washington Commission for National and Community Service.